One in seven couples now have trouble conceiving according to the NHS, but for older women and couples the pressure of pregnancy can be even greater because of the worry that time is running out.
At Manchester Fertility we specialise in helping older couples and women conceive. Part of our comprehensive support is offering tailored individuals and couples counselling, to help you cope with the treatment journey and understand the emotions you may experience when you’re trying for a family later in life.
Mandatory counselling: Older couples and women using donor eggs
If you’re using UK donor eggs from our donor programme to try for a baby, counselling is mandatory. This is because using donor eggs has long-lasting implications for you and the child you have.
Counselling when you’re using donor eggs doesn’t just concentrate on your feelings and concerns but how you’ll approach many of the factors unique to donor conception, such as:
- Telling your child about their conception and origins
- What you can know about your egg donor
- What your child can know about your egg donor
- How you’ll feel if your child does want to know more about her in future - all Manchester Fertility UK egg donors are HFEA registered and traceable to your child
- The potential existence of donor-conceived siblings – children born to other parents who used the same egg donor as you
Counselling happens early in your journey so you’re fully informed and prepared for using an egg donor.
Counselling service: Support for older patients
Two counselling sessions are included in treatment for all patients and can be accessed at any time. As an older couple or woman having fertility treatment, you may find it helps to have someone to talk to about:
- Your worries about ability to achieve pregnancy at your age
- The increased pressure on you and your partner for IVF to be successful quickly and how this impacts your relationship
- How you’ll cope if treatment fails
- The possibility you may need multiple cycles to conceive
- Discussing the egg donor question: How you feel about donor eggs if this offers the best way to have a baby
- Coping with other people’s opinions about having a family later in life
- Strategies to support each other
Manchester Fertility: Fertility treatment counselling for your wellbeing
At Manchester Fertility our individualised approach isn’t just focused on personalised treatment and a successful outcome, but your own health and wellbeing as you prepare for your family. It’s why so many older couples and women come to us for help to have a baby.
Read our Guide for Older Women to learn more about your options and explore available fertility treatment funding for older women including IVF Multi-Cycle; Donor Eggs Refund Plan and our new Frozen Donor Eggs Multi-Cycle package.
If you’re ready to start treatment with us, you can self-refer here. We offer treatment to women up to the age of 50. Or call our team on 0161 300 2737 to book in for a free private and informal 1-2-1.
You can also come and meet our team at the Fertility Show Manchester next month (24-25 March). We’re on Stand B10 all weekend.
Last updated: 18th December 2020