Our options

My partner has had a vasectomy 20 years ago and is 20 years older than me at 51 now. As far as I know there aren’t any reasons why I’m unable to have children personally but then again I’ve never tried. I wondered what our best option is, could we get sperm aspiration and then insemination or would we have to go down extraction and then fill IVF? Thanks

Our Expert's Answer

This information was published 5 years, 6 months ago and was correct at the time of publication. It may not reflect our current practices or regulations.

Please note that all the answers we give are on a generic basis only, as we cannot provide more in-depth answers without access to your medical history. If you need a more detailed response, tailored to you, we would recommend a consultation with one of our Fertility Specialists for more comprehensive medical advice.

Manchester Fertility woild be able to help you if you want to try to conceive. From the history you have provided, one option would be sugical sperm retrieval (SSR) which would then have to be used in an ICSI cycle. Alternatively your partner could have a vasectomy reversal. Our expert on male factor fertility, Dr Muhammed Akhtar, would be happy to see you to advise you of your options. If you wish to make an appointment, please contact our patient advisors on 0161 300 2737.