Clomid for men?

Is the clinic ever able to offer medications such as clomid, nolvadex or HCG to men with low testosterone, low LH and FSH, and low sperm production? Thanks

Our Expert's Answer

This information was published 11 years, 1 month ago and was correct at the time of publication. It may not reflect our current practices or regulations.

Please note that all the answers we give are on a generic basis only, as we cannot provide more in-depth answers without access to your medical history. If you need a more detailed response, tailored to you, we would recommend a consultation with one of our Fertility Specialists for more comprehensive medical advice.

The short answer is: yes, we are able to offer these medications. However, instead of treating the outcome only, these patients need careful and thorough investigations with involvement of uro-andrologist and endocrinologist. Usual tests involve hormonal challenge test, MRI scan, bone mineral density test (DEXA). The treatment is usual lifelong hormone replacement therapy which requires regular review. To improve sperm count or libido some short term treatment is available. However it should be part of the long term management plan.